Document Type : Case Reports
Department of Pathology, Shahid Modarres Hospital, Shahid Beheshti University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
The incidence of pericardial epithelioid angiosarcoma is rare. Angiosarcoma of pericardium may coat the pericardium in a diffuse fashion. Diagnosis of an angiosarcoma is challenging and may be easily mistaken as constrictive pericarditis. Herein, a case of primary pericardial angiosarcoma is reported in a 16-year-old female. Patient presented with chest pain and dyspnea on exertion, regarded as constrictive pericarditis. Pericardectomy was performed and histopathologic examination showed pleomorphic epithelioid cells exhibiting hyperchromatic nuclei, prominent nucleoli and eosinophilic cytoplasm arranged in sheets and occasionally lined irregular vascular spaces. Moreover, immunohistochemical staining revealed that tumor cells were positive for CD31 and vimentin. The patient received chemotherapy with adriamycin, ifosfamide, and mesna. Unfortunately, the patient died of cardiac involvement and pleural metastases less than three months following the operation. Primary pericardial angiosarcoma is rare and difficult to diagnose, especially epithelioid variant. Immunohistochemical assessment is required to confirm the final diagnosis.
Copyright © 2021. This is an open-access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution- 4.0 International License which permits Share, copy and redistribution of the material in any medium or format or adapt, remix, transform, and build upon the material for any purpose, even commercially.
- Chakrabarti A, Purkayastha B, Pattari SK, Kukatla L. Pericardial angiosarcoma: an interesting case report. Indian J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2015;33(1):34-7. [DOI:10.1007/s12055-015-0408-z]
- Hong NJL, Pandalai PK, Hornick JL, Shekar PS, Harmon DC, Chen Y-L, et al. Cardiac angiosarcoma management and outcomes: 20-year single-institution experience. Ann Surg Oncol. 2012;19(8):2707-15. [DOI:10.1245/s10434-012-2334-2] [PMID]
- Felecia Jinwala AS. Pericardial Angiosarcoma: An Elusive Diagnosis. Exp Clin Cardiol. 2015;06(07). [DOI:10.4172/2155-9880.1000390]
- Jurinjak SJ, Vincelj J, Rudez I, Lisicic A, Jurin I, Manojlovic S, et al., editors. Primary left atrial angiosarcoma presenting as acute coronary syndrome. The heart surgery forum; 2019.
- Yao F, Rong Z, Wang Z, Wei Y, Zhang X. Case Report Pericardiac angiosarcoma mistaken as constrictive pericarditis, with active treatment of surgery and chemotherapy, but poor prognosis. Int J Clin Exp Med. 2018;11(11):12786-9.
- Li Y, Wang B, Zhang L, Yang Y, Wang J, Lv Q, et al. Rare Case of Pericardial Angiosarcoma. Circ Heart Fail. 2018;11(10):e005342. [DOI:10.1161/CIRCHEARTFAILURE.118.005342]
- Frota Filho JD, Lucchese FA, Leaes P, Valente LA, Vieira MS, Blacher C. Primary cardiac angiosarcoma. A therapeutical dilemma. Arq Bras Cardiol. 2002;78(6):586-91. [DOI:10.1590/S0066-782X2002000600006] [PMID]
- Lestuzzi C, De Paoli A, Baresic T, Miolo G, Buonadonna A. Malignant cardiac tumors: diagnosis and treatment. Future Cardiol. 2015;11(4):485-500. [DOI:10.2217/fca.15.10] [PMID]