Document Type : Original Research
Dept. of Pathology, Imam Khomeini Hospital Complex, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Dept. of Urology, Hasheminejad Hospital, Iran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Development Association for Clinical Study (DACS), Student Scientific Research Center (SSCR), Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Background: The optimal treatment is not possible yet for chronic prostatitis due to the unknown etiology of the diseases. We aimed to investigate the association of Helicobacter pylori infection with chronic prostatitis.
Methods: In this prospective case-control study that conducted in Imam Hospital Complex affiliated to Tehran University of Medical Sciences in Tehran, Iran from 2014 to 2015, patients with diagnosis of chronic prostatitis according to the criteria of National Institute of Health (NIH) were enrolled. Control group constituted of consecutive healthy patients.Blood samples were obtained for each patient and control and evaluated for serum levels of anti H. pylori IgG, A. Data analysis was carried out using SPSS, version 18. Values of P<0.05 were considered statistically significant.
Results: Mean ± SD age of patients was 59.5 ± 3.08 yr in the case group and 56.88 ± 3.20 yr in the control group with no significant difference (P>0.05). Mean ± SD levels of anti H. pylori IgG and IgA in the control group were 9.36 ± 7.45 U/ml and 6.25 ± 7.29 U/ml, respectively compared with 20.94 ± 16.98 U/ml and 18.63 ± 15.65 U/ml in the case group, respectively both of which revealed statistically significant (P<0.05).
Conclusion: Chronic prostatitis is associated with H. pylori infection. Both anti H. pylori IgG and IgA are increased in patients with chronic prostatitis. Therefore, treatment of HP infection could be effective in the prostatitis cure.
- Al-Marhoon MS, Ouhtit A, Al-Abri AO, Venkiteswaran KP, Al-Busaidi Q, Mathew J, et al. Molecular Evidence of Helicobacter Pylori Infection in Prostate Tumors. Curr Urol 2015; 8(3):138-43.
- Verit A, Yüksel ÖH, Kivrak M, Yazicilar HA, Özbay N, Uruç F. Are Helicobacter Pylori and Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia Related, and If So, How?. Urol J 2015 4;12(4):2271-5.
- Mehik A, Hellström P, Lukkarinen O, Sarpola A, Järvelin M. Epidemiology of prostatitis in Finnish men: a population-based cross-sectional study. BJU In 2000; 86(4):443-8.
- Konkle KS, Clemens JQ.New paradigms in understanding chronic pelvic pain syndrome. Curr Urol Rep 2011; 12(4):278-83.
- Lee KS, Choi JD. Chronic prostatitis: approaches for best management. Korean J Urol 2012; 53(2):69-77.
- Li LJ, Shen ZJ, Lu YL, Fu SZ. The value of endotoxin concentrations in expressed prostatic secretions for the diagnosis and classification of chronic prostatitis. BJU Int 2001; 88(6):536-9.
- Brunner H, Weidner W, Schiefer HG. Studies on the role of Ureaplasma urealyticum and Mycoplasma hominis in prostatitis. J Infect Dis 1983; 147(5):807-13.
- Kanbay M, Gur G, Akcay S, Yilmaz U. Helicobacter pylori seroprevalence in patients with chronic bronchitis. Respir Med 2005; 99(10):1213-6.
- Roussos A, Tsimpoukas F, Anastasakou E, Alepopoulou D, Paizis I, Philippou N. Helicobacter pylori seroprevalence in patients with chronic bronchitis. J Gastroenterol 2002;37(5):332-5.
- Tsai CJ, Huang TY. Relation of Helicobacter pylori infection and angiographically demonstrated coronary artery disease. Dig Dis Sci 2000; 45(6):1227-32.
- Karatas OF, Turkay C, Bayrak O, Cimentepe E, Unal D. Helicobacter pylori seroprevalence in patients with chronic prostatitis: a pilot study. Scand J Urol Nephrol 2010; 44(2):91-4.
- Pellicano R, Fagoonee S. Comment and reply on "Helicobacter pylori seroprevalence in patients with chronic prostatitis: a pilot study". Scand J Urol Nephrol 2010;44(5):345-6
- Leontiadis GI1, Sharma VK, Howden CW. Non-gastrointestinal tract associations of Helicobacter pylori infection. Arch Intern Med 1999 10;159(9):925-40.
- Al-Marhoon MS. Is there a role for Helicobacter pylori infection in urological diseases?. Urol J 2008; 5(3):139-43.
- Krieger JN, Riley DE. Chronic prostatitis: Charlottesville to Seattle. J Urol 2004; 172(6 Pt 2):2557-60.
- Khadra A, Fletcher P, Luzzi G, Shattock R, Hay P. Interleukin-8 levels in seminal plasma in chronic prostatitis/chronic pelvic pain syndrome and nonspecific urethritis. BJU Int 2006; 97(5):1043-6.