Document Type: Case Reports
Dept. of Pathology, Sri Siddhartha Medical College, Tumkur, Karnataka – 572104, India
Dept. of Surgery, Sri Siddhartha Medical College, Tumkur, Karnataka – 572104, India
Dermatofibrosarcoma protruberans is a relatively uncommon slow growing, locally aggressive fibrous tumor of the skin. It has a prospensity of progressing to fibrosarcomatous change in 5% of the cases. We present a case of a 56 yr old male with presented to the outpatient department of surgery, Sri Siddhartha Medical College, Tumkur with a chest swelling in 2013. FNAC was inconclusive and the mass was excised. On histopathology, areas of benign fibrohistiocytic tumor, dermatofibrosarcoma protruberans and fibrosarcomatous dermatofibrosarcoma were identified in the same tumor. Immunohistochemistry confirmed the diagnosis of DFSP with fibrosarcomatous change. Although, transformed DFSP is more aggressive, the prognosis is influenced by the extent of excision and with wide excision, there may be little increased risk for recurrence and metastasis over that of conventional DFSP.
- Szollosi Z, Nemes Z. Transformed dermatofibrosarcoma protruberans: a clinicopathological study of eight cases. J Clin Pathol 2005; 58: 751-6.
- Arican O, Bakaris S, Bulbuloglu E, Ezberci F. Myoid differentiation and EMA expression in fibrosarcomatous dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans. Acta Dermatoven APA 2006; 15(1): 39-44.
- Prabhu R, Kumar N, Sadhu S, Shenoy R. Fibrosarcomatous dermatofibrosarcoma protruberans: A case report of an aggressive soft tissue sarcoma. J Clin Exp Res 2013; 1(3): 71-73.
- Mentzel T, Beham A, Katenkamp D, Dei Tos AP, Fletcher CD. Fibrosarcomatous (“high grade”) dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans : Clinicopathologic and immunohistochemical study of a series of 41 cases with emphasis on prognostic significance. Am J Surg Pathol 1998; 22(5): 576-87.
- Angouridakis N, Kafas P, Jerjes W et al. Dermatofibrosarcoma protruberans with fibrosarcomatous transformation of head and neck. Head Neck Oncol 2011; 3: 5.
- Kerob D, Pedeutour F, Leboeuf C et al. Value of cytogenetic analysis in treatment of dermatofibrosarcoma protruberans. JCO 2008; 26(10): 1757-9.
- Serra – Guillen C, Llombart B, Sanmartin O lDermatofibrosarcoma protruberans. Actas Dermosifiliogr 2012; 103: 762-77.
- Kim SJ, Jung HK, Kim KI. Axillary metastasis in abdominal dermatofibrosarcoma protruberans with the fibrosarcomatous changes: A case report. J Korean Soc Radiol 2013; 68(5): 417-21.
- Szollosi Z, Scholtz B, Egervari K, Nemes Z. Transformed dermatofibrosarcoma protruberans: real time polymerase chain reaction of COL1A1-PDGFB fusion transcripts in sarcomatous areas. J Clin Pathol 2007; 60: 190-4.
- Campos M, Zarco C, Acquadro F. Myxoid dermatofibrosarcoma protruberans in childhood. Actas Dermosifiliogr 2012; 103: 422-6.
- Palmerini E, Gambarotti M, Staals EL et al. Fibrosarcomatous changes and expression of CD34+ and apolipoprotein – D in dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans. Clinical Sarcoma Research 2012; 2: 4.
- Asuquo ME, Umoh MS, Ebughe G. Dermatofibrosarcoma protruberans: case reports. Ann Afr Med 2007; 6(2): 80-3.
- Edelweiss M, Malpica A. Dermatofibrosarcoma protruberans of the vulva: A clinicopathologic and immunohistochemical study of 13 cases. Am J Surg Pathol 2010; 34: 393-400.
- Gupta AK, Singh H, Manalel AM, Jaiswal NK. A rare case of scalp dermato-fibrosarcoma-protruberans with intracranial extension and distant soft tissue and liver metastasis. Calicut Med J 2011; 9(2): 8-11.