Document Type: Case Reports
Dept. of Oral & Maxillofacial Pathology and Microbiology Dr D Y Patil Dental College & Hospital, Sector 7, Nerul, Navi Mumbai, Maharashtra, India.
Central giant cell granuloma is a benign, aggressive neoplasm composed of multinucleated giant cells that almost exclusively occurs in the jaws though extra-gnathic incidence is rare.Multifocal CGCGs of the jaws are very rare and suggestive of systemic diseases such as hyperparathyroidism,an inherited syndrome such as Noonan-like multiple giant cell lesion syndrome or other disorders.Very few cases of multifocal CGCGs in the jaws without any concomitant systemic disease have been reported. This paper describes an unusual case reported to the Oral Surgery Department of Dr. D.Y.Patil Dental College & Hospital, Nerul, Navi-Mumbai in 2014ina45-year-old male with multifocal central giant cell granuloma involving maxilla and mandible. The serum alkaline phosphatase, calcium and phosphorus levels were within the normal limits. After complete clinical examination hyperparathyroidism and clinical characteristic of any syndromes such as Noonan-like syndrome and neurofibromatosis were ruled out. Thus this paper reports a non-syndromic multifocal central giant cell granuloma.
- Vered M, Buchner A, Dayan D. Central giant cell granuloma of the Jaw bones – new insights into molecular biology with clinical implications on treatment approaches. Histol. Histopathol 2008;23:1151-60.
- Kaffe I, Ardekian L, Taicher S, Littner MM, Buchner A. Radiologic features of central giant cell granuloma of the jaws. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 1996;81(6):720-6.
- Devi P, T Swaroopkanth, G Sudhakar, D Kiranmai, R Sasank, D Sridharreddy et al. Central Giant Cell Granuloma of Maxilla: A Case Report. Indian J Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg.2013;65(Suppl1):S192-4.
- Miloro M, Quinn PD. Synchronous Central Giant Cell Lesions of the Jaws: Report of a Case and Review of the Literature.J.Oral Maxillofacial Surg995;53:1350-55.
- Bilodeau E, Chowdhury K, Collins B. A Case of Recurrent: Multifocal Central Giant Cell Granulomas. Head and Neck Pathol 2009;3:174-78.
- Cossio P, Fuentes R,Carranza A,Lagares D, Jose P. Recurrent central giant cell granuloma in the mandible: Surgical treatment and dental implant restoration. Med Oral Patol Oral Cir Bucal 2007;12:E229-30.
- Donoff RB, Rosenberg AE. Case records of the Massachusetts General Hospital. Weekly clinicopathological exercises. Case 20-1993. A 23-year-old woman with a rapidly enlarging intraoral mass after a tooth extraction. N Engl J Med. 1993;328(20):1478-83.
- Jadu F, Pharoah M, Lee L, Baker GL, Allidina A. Central giant cell granuloma of the mandibular condyle: a case report and review of the literature. Dentomaxillofac Radiol 2011;40 (1):60-64.
- Noleto J, Marchiori E, Sampaio R, Irion K, Collares F. Radiological and epidemiological aspects of central giant cell granuloma. Radiol Bras 2007;40(3):167-171
- Edwards P, Fox J, Fantasia J, Golberg J, Kelsch R.Bilateral central giant cell granulomas of the mandible in an 8-year-old girl with Noonan syndrome (Noonan-like/multiple giant cell lesion syndrome. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 2005 April;99(3):334-40.
- Soundarya N, Sharada P,Nilima P, GL Pradeep.Bilateral maxillary brown tumors in a patient with primary hyperparathyroidism: Report of a rare entity and review of literature. J Oral Maxillofac Pathol. 2011 Jan-April;15(1):56-59.