Document Type: Case Reports
Dept. of Pathology, School of Medicine, Kerman University of Medical Sciences, Kerman, Iran
Molecular Pathology and Cytogenetic Unit, Pathology Department, School of Medicine, Shiraz University of Medical Sciences, Shiraz, Iran
Desmoplastic small round cell tumor (DSCRT) is a rare variant of sarcoma with a highly aggressive behavior. It usually affects abdominal cavity and has a male predominance. Its correct diagnosis and treatment is sophisticated and requires an experienced multidisciplinary team. Hereby we present a 25 yrold man from Kerman Province in 2013 with abdominal mass and ascites who underwent sonograghy guided percutaneous needle biopsy which was misleading and inconclusive for diagnosis. Thus an open biopsy was fulfilled which revealed solid nests of small round cells with hyperchromatic nuclei and clear cytoplasm surrounded by a desmoplastic stroma suggestive for DSCRT. The diagnosis was confirmed by positive immunohitochemical reaction for cytokeratin, desmin and neuron specific enolase(NSE).Ultimately the patient underwent chemotherapy on the basis of P6 protocol without surgical debulking.Diagnosis and treatment of DSCRT could be a dilemma due to its rarity, various clinicopathologic mimickers and lack of a consensus about its management.
- Shen X-Z, Zhao J-G, Wu J-J, Liu F. Clinical and computed tomography features of adult abdominopelvic desmoplastic small round cell tumor. World J Gastroenterol 2014;20(17):5157-64.
- Bellah R, Suzuki-Bordalo L, Brecher E, Ginsberg JP, Maris J, Pawel BR. Desmoplastic small round cell tumor in the abdomen and pelvis: report of CT findings in 11 affected children and young adults. Am J Roentgenol 2005;184(6):1910-4.
- Kis B, O'Regan K, Agoston A, Javery O, Jagannathan J, Ramaiya N. Imaging of desmoplastic small round cell tumour in adults. Imaging 2012;85:185-92.
- 4 Heikkila A J, Prebtani A P. Desmoplastic small round cell tumour in a 74 year old man: an uncommon cause of ascites. Diagn Pathol 2011; 6, 55.
- Hayes-Jordan A, Anderson PM. The diagnosis and management of desmoplastic small round cell tumor: a review. Curr Opin Oncol 2011;23(4):385-9.
- Gerald WL, Rosai J, Ladanyi M. Characterization of the genomic breakpoint and chimeric transcripts in the EWS-WT1 gene fusion of desmoplastic small round cell tumor. Proc Natl Acad Sci 1995;92(4):1028-32.
- Hafida B, Leila C, Abdelmalek O, Ouadii M, Siham T, Afaf Riffi A, et al. Desmoplastic small round cell tumor of the abdomen: A case report and literature review of therapeutic options. Health 2012;4(4)207-11.
- Lae ME, Roche PC, Jin L, Lloyd RV, Nascimento AG. Desmoplastic small round cell tumor: a clinicopathologic, immunohistochemical, and molecular study of 32 tumors. Am J Surg Pathol 2002;26(7):823-35.
- Zhang WD, Li CX, Liu QY, Hu YY, Cao Y, Huang JH. CT, MRI, and FDG-PET/CT imaging findings of abdominopelvic desmoplastic small round cell tumors: correlation with histopathologic findings. Eur J Radiol 2011 Nov;80(2):269-73.
- Dufresne A, Cassier P, Couraud L, Marec-Bérard P, Meeus P, Alberti L, et al. Desmoplastic small round cell tumor: current management and recent findings. Sarcoma 2012;714986:2012.
- Chang F. Desmoplastic small round cell tumors: cytologic, histologic, and immunohistochemical features. Arch Pathol Lab Med 2006;130(5):728-32.
- Thandassery RB, Elbedawi M, El-Malik H, John AK, Al-Bozom IA, Al Kaabi SR. Intra-abdominal desmoplastic small round cell tumor. Ann Gastroenterol.2013; 27(3), 287-288.
- Quaglia MPL, Brennan MF. The clinical approach to desmoplastic small round cell tumor. Surg Oncol 2000;9(2):77-81.
- Li G, Wang H, Gao Y, Cui X, Zhang G. Primary abdominopelvic desmoplastic small round cell tumor: CT and correlated clinicopathologic features. Eur Rev Med Pharmacol Sci 2014;18(18):2670-7.
- Hirano G, Irie M, Nakashima Y, Shakado S, Sohda T, Tanaka T, et al. Desmoplastic small round cell tumors in a young man. Intern Med 2012;52(17):1909-14.
- Devoe K, Weidner N, editors. Immunohistochemistry of small round-cell tumors. Semin Diagn Pathol 2000;17:216-24.
- Goodman K A, Wolden S L, LaQuaglia M P, & Kushner B H. Whole abdominopelvic radiation therapy for desmoplastic small round-cell tumor. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2001; 51(3), 118-9.