Document Type : Original Research
Pathology and Stem cell research center,Pathology Department, Afzalipour Medical School, Kerman University of Medical Science, Kerman, Iran
Dept. of Pharmacology, School of Medicine, Kerman University of Medical Sciences, Kerman, Iran
Pharmaceutics Research Center, Institute of Neuropharmacology, Kerman University of Medical Sciences, Kerman, Iran
Molecular and Medicine Research Center, Arak University of Medical Sciences, Arak, Iran
Background: The breast cancer is the most prevalent cancer among women, on the other hand absence of myoepithelial cells play a pivotal role in pathogenesis of this cancer. Thus we aimed to investigate the possible abilities of the molecular assay technique to find a relationship between mammary serine protease inhibitor (Maspin) gene expression possibly secreted by myoepithelial cells, grade of breast cancer and other prognostics factors (ER, PR, and c-erb-B2).
Methods: Paraffin embedded blocks of 31 breast cancer patients together with two normal breast tissues were used for IHC staining and Maspin gene RNA detection uses the real-time PCR method. Applying QIAGEN kit, we were able to measure Maspin RNA and Extract the cDNA of different samples for evaluating the Maspin RNA level.
Results: We found that the RNA level was considerably lowerin these cancer samples compared with normal samples. In addition, different grades of breast cancer in the obtained results adopt some distinguishable values. The Maspin expression in samples with grades II and III is much lower than the ones in normal group (P<0.05) which could be considered as a promising way in diagnosing of this disease. The results showed no considerable differences in Maspin gene expression of the c-erb-B2 scores in the tumor group except the samples having score 0. The other observation of this research study confirmed that Maspin gene expression couldn't show any differences between the values of both ER and PR in different scores of the tumor group. On the other hand, the cDNA of these patients showed lower values compared with normal samples.
Conclusion: Maspin expression was reduced in samples with grade II& III of invasive ductal carcinoma. Based on expression of Maspin Inc-erb-B2, it seems that more expression happened in normal group comparing with different scores of it. We could suggest that there was a reverse relationship between tumor formation and Maspin gene expression. These results showed possible role of Maspin as prognostic factor.
- Bailey CM, Khalkhali-Ellis Z, Seftor EA, Hendrix MJ. Biological functions of maspin. J Cell Physiol 2006;209(3):617-24.
- DeSantis C, Siegel R, Bandi P, Jemal A. Breast cancer statistics, 2011. CA Cancer J Clin 2011;61(6):409-18.
- Harirchi I, Kolahdoozan S, Karbakhsh M, Chegini N, Mohseni S, Montazeri A, et al. Twenty years of breast cancer in Iran: downstaging without a formal screening program. Ann Oncol 2011;22(1):93-7.
- Heneghan HM, Miller N, Kelly R, Newell J, Kerin MJ. Systemic miRNA-195 differentiates breast cancer from other malignancies and is a potential biomarker for detecting noninvasive and early stage disease. Oncologist 2010;15(7):673-82.
- Ferlay J, Shin HR, Bray F, Forman D, Mathers C, Parkin DM. Estimates of worldwide burden of cancer in 2008: GLOBOCAN 2008. Int J Cancer 2010;127(12):2893-917.
- Hortobagyi GN. Can we cure limited metastatic breast cancer? J Clin Oncol 2002;20(3):620-3.
- Baum M. Modern concepts of the natural history of breast cancer: a guide to the design and publication of trials of the treatment of breast cancer. Eur J Cancer 2013;49(1):60-4.
- Hojo T, Akiyama Y, Nagasaki K, Maruyama K, Kikuchi K, Ikeda T, et al. Association of maspin expression with the malignancy grade and tumor vascularization in breast cancer tissues. Cancer Lett 2001;171(1):103-10.
- Karlsson E, Sandelin K, Appelgren J, Zhou W, Jirström K, Bergh J, et al. Clonal alteration of breast cancer receptors between primary ductal carcinoma in situ (DCIS) and corresponding local events. Europ J Cancer 2014;50(3):517-24.
- Guarneri V, Broglio K, Kau SW, Cristofanilli M, Buzdar AU, Valero V, et al. Prognostic value of pathologic complete response after primary chemotherapy in relation to hormone receptor status and other factors. J Clin Oncol 2006;24(7):1037-44.
- Kong W, Richards T, Cheng JQ, Coppola D. Molecular Pathology and Diagnostics of Breast Cancer. Molecular Pathology and Diagnostics of Cancer: Springer; 2014. p. 57-73.
- Jemal A, Bray F, Center MM, Ferlay J, Ward E, Forman D. Global cancer statistics. CA Cancer J Clin 2011;61(2):69-90.
- Rakha E, Soria D, Lemetre C, Green A, Powe D, Nolan C, et al. Nottingham prognostic index plus (NPI+): a modern clinical decision making tool in breast cancer. Brit J Cancer 2013.
- Strati A, Kasimir-Bauer S, Markou A, Parisi C, Lianidou ES. Comparison of three molecular assays for the detection and molecular characterization of circulating tumor cells in breast cancer. Breast Cancer Res 2013;15(2):R20.
- Nagalla S, Chou JW, Willingham MC, Ruiz J, Vaughn JP, Dubey P, et al. Interactions between immunity, proliferation and molecular subtype in breast cancer prognosis. Genome Biol 2013;14(4):R34.
- Khalkhali-Ellis Z, Christian AL, Kirschmann DA, Edwards EM, Rezaie-Thompson M, Vasef MA, et al. Regulating the tumor suppressor gene maspin in breast cancer cells: a potential mechanism for the anticancer properties of tamoxifen. Clinl Cancer Res 2004;10(2):449-54.
- Khalkhali-Ellis Z. Maspin: the new frontier. Clinl Cancer Res 2006;12(24):7279-83.
- Goulet B, Kennette W, Ablack A, Postenka CO, Hague MN, Mymryk JS, et al. Nuclear localization of maspin is essential for its inhibition of tumor growth and metastasis. Lab Investigat 2011;91(8):1181-7.
- Lefebvre KJ, Assadian S, El-Assaad W, Teodoro JG. Regulation of Angiogenesis by Tumour Suppressor Pathways. Experimental and Clinical Metastasis: Springer; 2013. p. 79-99.
- Berardi R, Morgese F, Onofri A, Mazzanti P, Pistelli M, Ballatore Z, et al. Role of maspin in cancer. Clin Transl Med 2013;2(1):8.
- Sheng S, Carey J, Seftor EA, Dias L, Hendrix M, Sager R. Maspin acts at the cell membrane to inhibit invasion and motility of mammary and prostatic cancer cells. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 1996;93(21):11669-74.
- Pföhler C, Knöpflen T, Körner R, Vogt T, Rösch A, Müller CS. Maspin expression in the invasive margin of primary melanomas may reflect an aggressive tumor phenotype. JDDG: J Deutschen Dermatologischen Gesellschaft 2013;11(10):993-9.
- Korhonen R, Linker K, Pautz A, Forstermann U, Moilanen E, Kleinert H. Post-transcriptional regulation of human inducible nitric-oxide synthase expression by the Jun N-terminal kinase. Mol Pharmacol 2007;71(5):1427-34.
- Kim DH, Yoon DS, Dooley WC, Nam ES, Ryu JW, Jung KC, et al. Association of maspin expression with the high histological grade and lymphocyte-rich stroma in early-stage breast cancer. Histopathology 2003;42(1):37-42.
- Umekita Y, Yoshida H. Expression of maspin is up‐regulated during the progression of mammary ductal carcinoma. Histopathology 2003;42(6):541-5.
- Umekita Y, Ohi Y, Sagara Y, Yoshida H. Expression of maspin predicts poor prognosis in breast-cancer patients. Int J Cancer 2002;100(4):452-5.
- Lee MJ, Suh CH, Li ZH. Clinicopathological significance of maspin expression in breast cancer. J Korean Med Sci 2006;21(2):309-14.
- Stark AM, Schem C, Maass N, Hugo H, Jonat W, Mehdorn HM, et al. Expression of metastasis suppressor gene maspin is reduced in breast cancer brain metastases and correlates with the estrogen receptor status. Neurol Res 2010;32(3):303-8.
- Maass N, Hojo T, Rösel F, Ikeda T, Jonat W, Nagasaki K. Down regulation of the tumor suppressor gene maspin in breast carcinoma is associated with a higher risk of distant metastasis. Clin Biochem 2001;34(4):303-7.
- Odero-Marah VA, Khalkhali-Ellis Z, Chunthapong J, Amir S, Seftor RE, Seftor EA, et al. Maspin regulates different signaling pathways for motility and adhesion in aggressive breast cancer cells. Cancer Biol Therapy 2003;2(4):398-403.
- Affara NI, Coussens LM. IKKα at the crossroads of inflammation and metastasis. Cell 2007;129(1):25-6.
- Law RH, Irving JA, Buckle AM, Ruzyla K, Buzza M, Bashtannyk-Puhalovich TA, et al. The high resolution crystal structure of the human tumor suppressor maspin reveals a novel conformational switch in the G-helix. J Biol Chem 2005;280(23):22356-64.
- Sopel M, Kasprzyk I, Berdowska I. Maspin and c-erbB-2 expression in correlation with microvessel density in invasive ductal breast cancer. Folia Histochemica et Cytobiologica 2011;43(2):109-8.
- Mohsin SK, Zhang M, Clark GM, Craig Allred D. Maspin expression in invasive breast cancer: association with other prognostic factors. J Pathol 2003;199(4):432-5.