Document Type: Original Research
Dept. of Infectious Diseases, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Toxoplasmosis Research Center, Mazandaran University of Medical Sciences, Sari, Iran.
Dept. of Pathology, School of Medicine, Imam Hospital Complex, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Background: Cryptosporidiumis known as an opportunist disease-causing agent in man in recent decades. It causes diarrhea and intestinal disorders in the immune deficit and immune competent individuals. This study was aimed to investigate the clinical characteristics of HIV/AIDS patients withcryptosporidiosisinfection.
Methods: This cross-sectional descriptive study was performed on 53 HIV/AIDS patients referred to the Behavior Disease Consultation Center of Imam Khomeini Hospital in Tehran, Iran in 2013. First, the patients were studied clinically and the context data were recorded in a questionnaire for parasitological examination and referred to the laboratory for eosinophil count, and CD4 count per ml of blood.
Results: Cryptosporidiosiswas observed in 4 (7.6%) of the total 53 HIV/AIDS patients. The highest prevalence of infection was observed in the age range of 30-39 yr.Itwas observed in different sexes as 5.7% of male and 1.9% of female, but statistically was insignificant (P=0.163).75% of patients had no intestinal symptom, 11.4% with acute diarrhea and 3.8% with chronic diarrhea. Cryptosporidiosis cases were observed in 5.7% of patients without intestinal symptom. Conclusion: Practitioners in the clinicalexamination for the detectionof the opportunistic intestinal protozoan infection should use clinical and paraclinical characteristics of the HIV/AIDS patients for the diagnostic of Cryptosporidium and other opportunistic parasitic diseases.
- Egyed Z, Sréter T, Széll Z, Varga I. Characterization of Cryptosporidium spp.- recent developments and future needs. Vet Parasitol 2003 Feb 13;111(2-3):103-14.
- Roy SL, DeLong SM, Stenzel SA, Shiferaw B, Roberts JM, Khalakdina A, et al. Risk factor for sporadic cryptosporidiosis among immunocompetent person in the United States. J Clin Microbiol 2004 Jul;42(7):2944-51.
- Griffiths JK. Human cryptosporidiosis; epidemiology, transmission; clinical disease, treatment, and diagnosis. Adv Parasitol 1998;40:37-85.
- Nahrevanian H, Azarinoosh SA, Esfandiari B, Amirkhani A, Ziapoor SP, ShadifarM. The frequency of cryptosporidiosis among gastroenteritis patients in western cities of Mazandaran Province (2007-2009).Qazvin University of Medical Sciences 2011; 1(58).78-86 (Persian).
- Keshavarz A, Athari A, Hughi A, et al. Genetic characterization of Cryptosporidium SPP. Among children with Diarrhea in Tehran and Qazvin province; Iran. Iran J Parasite 2008; 3(3):30-6.
- Mosier DA, Oberst RD. Cryptosporidium a global challenge. Ann N Y Acad Sci 2000;916:102-11.
- Xiao L, Bern C, Limor J, Sulaiman I, Roberts J, Checkley W, et al. Identification of 5 types of Cryptosporidium parasites in children in Lima Peru. J Infect Dis 2001 Feb 1;183(3):492-7.
- McManus DP, Bowles J. Molecular genetic approaches to parasite identification: their value in diagnostic parasitology and systematic. Int J Parasitol 1996 Jul;26(7):687-704.
- Hunter PR, Nichols G. Epidemiology and Clinical Features of Cryptosporidium Infection in Immunocompromised Patients. Clin Microbiol Rev 2002 Jan;15(1):145-54.
- Arora DR, Arora B.AIDS-associated parasitic diarrhea. Indian J Med Microbiol 2009 Jul-Sep;27(3):185-90.
- Missaye A, Dagnew M, Alemu A, Alemu A. Prevalence of intestinal parasites and associated risk factors among HIV/AIDS patients with pre-ART and on-ART attending Dessie hospital ART clinic, Northeast Ethiopia. AIDS Res Ther 2013 Feb 25;10(1):7.
- Girma M, Teshome W, Petros B, Endeshaw T. Cryptosporidiosis and Isosporiasis among HIV-positive individuals in south Ethiopia: a cross sectional study. BMC Infect Dis 2014 Feb 22;14:100.
- Fisseha B, Petros B, WoldeMichael T. Cryptosporidium and other parasites in Ethiopian AIDS patients with chronic diarrhea. East Afr Med J 1998 Feb;75(2):100-1.
- Gholami Sh, khanmohammadi M, Ahmadpour E, Paqhe EB, Khadem Nakhjiri S, Ramaznnipour H, et al. Cryptosporidium Infection in Patients with Gastroenteritis in Sari, Iran. Iran J Parasitol 2014; 9(2):226-32.
- Samie A, Guerrant RL, Barrett L, Bessong PO, Igumbor EO, Obi CL. Prevalence of Intestinal Parasitic and Bacterial Pathogens in Diarrhoeal and Non-diarroeal Human Stools from Vhembe District, South Africa. J Health Popul Nutr 2009 Dec;27(6):739-45.
- Timofeev SA. Current Concepts of Human Microsporidiosis. Vestn Ross Akad Med Nauk 2015;(2):257-63.
- Mohraz M, Jafari-Mehr A, Rezaeian M, Memar A, Vaziri S, Golmohammadi M, et al. Prevalence of intestinal parasitic pathogens among HIV-positive individuals in Tehran and Kermansha, Iran. Journal Shaheed Beheshti University of Medical Sciences and Health Services 2005; 28(4): 306-303.
- Khalili B, Mardani M. Frequency of cryptosporidium. And risk factors related to cryptosporidiosis in under 5-year old hospitalized children due to diarrhea. Iran J Clin Infect Disease 2009;4(3):151-155
- Gholami Sh, Hamzah Ali A, Khalilian A, Fakhar M, Daryani A, Sharif M, et al. The Frequency of Cryptosporidiosis Among Gastroenteritic Patients Referred to Mazandaran University of Medical Science Hospitals, During 2010-201.J Mazand Univ Med Sci 2012; 22(Supple 1): 263-272 (Persian).
- Lindo JE, Dubon JM, Ager AL, De Gourville EM, Solo-Gabrielle H, Klaskala WI, et al. Intestinal parasitic infections in HIV-positive and HIV-negative individuals in San Pedro Sula, Honduras. Am J Trop Med Hyg 1998; 58: 431-55.
- Mohandas K, Sehgal R, Sud A, Malla N. Prevalence of intestinal parasitic pathogens in HIV-seropositive individualsin northern India. Jpn J Infect Dis 2002; 55: 83-4.
- Sánchez-Mejorada G, Ponce-de-León S. Clinical patterns of diarrhea in AIDS: etiology prognosis. Rev Invest Clin 1994 May-Jun;46(3):187-96.
- Taherkhani H, Fallah M., Jadidian K, Vaziri S.A Study on the Prevalence of Cryptosporidium in HIV Positive Patients. J Res Health Sci 2007; 7)2(:20-24.
- Abaver DT, Nwobegahay JM, Goon DT, Iweriebor BC, Anye DN. Prevalence of intestinal parasitic infections among HIV/AIDS patients from two health institutions in Abuja, Nigeria. Afr Health Sci 2011 Aug;11 Suppl 1:S24-7.
- Smith PD, Janoff EN. Infectious diarrhea in human immunodeficiency virus infection. Gastroenterol Clin North Am 1988 Sep;17(3):587-98.
- Guk SM1, Seo M, Park YK, Oh MD, Choe KW, Kim JL,et al. Parasitic infections in HIV- infected patients who visited Seoul National University Hospital. Korean J Parasitol 2005 Mar;43(1):1-5.
- Brink AK, Mahé C, Watera C, Lugada E, Gilks C, Whitworth J, et al. Diarrhea, CD4 counts and enteric infections in a community-based cohort of HIV-infected adults in Uganda. J Infect 2002;45(2):99-106.
- Nahrevanian H, Assmar M. Cryptosporidiosis in immunocompromised patients in the Islamic Republic of Iran. J Microbiol Immunol Infect 2008 Feb;41(1):74-7.
- Gomez Morales MA, Atzori C, Ludovisi A, Rossi P, Scaglia M, Pozio E. Opportunistic and non-opportunistic parasites in HIV-positive and negative patients with diarrhea in Tanzania. Trop Med Parasitol 1995; 46: 109-14.
- Ghorbanzadeh B, Sadraei J, Emadi H. Diagnosis of Cryptosporidium and intestinal Microsporidia in HIV/AIDS patients with staining and PCR methods on 16srRNA gen.Arak Medical University Journal 2012; 15(66): 37-47 (Persian).
- Ajjampur SSR, Asirvatham JR, Muthusamy D, Gladstone BP, Abraham OC, Mathai D, et al. Clinical features and risk factors associated with cryptosporidiosis in HIV-infected adults in India. Indian J Med Res 2007; 126: 553-7.
- Meamar AR, Rezaiam M, Mohraz M, Zahabium F, Hadighi R, Kia EB. A comparative analysis of intestinal parasitic infections between HIV/AIDS patients and non-HIV infected individuals. Iran J Parasitol 2007; 2: 1-6.
- Mirjali H, Mohebali M, Mirhendi H, Gholami R , Keshavarz H , Reza Meamar AR, et al. Emerging Intestinal Microsporidia Infection in HIV+/AIDS Patients in Iran: Microscopic and Molecular Detection. Iran J Parasitol 2014; 9(2):149-54.
- Tzipori S, Ward H. Cryptosporidiosis: biology, pathogenesis and disease. Microbes Infect 2002 Aug;4(10):1047-58.
- Azami M, Moghaddam DD, Salehi R, Salehi M. The identification of Cryptosporidium species and genotypes in isfahan. Iran by PCR-RFLP analysis of the 18 s rRNAgene. Mol Biol (Mosk) 2007 Sep-Oct;41(5):934-9.
- Afshari Safavi E, Reza Mohammadi GH, Naghibi A, Rad M. Prevalence of Cryptosporidium spp. infection in some dairy Herds of Mashhad (Iran) and its association with diarrhea in newborn calves. Comp Clin Pathol 2011; 20:103–7.
- Kulkarni SV, Kairon R, Sane SS, Padmawar PS, Kale VA, Thakar MR, et al. Opportunistic parasitic infections in HIV/AIDS patients presenting with diarrhea by the level of immunesuppression. Indian J Med Res 2009;13: 63-6.